The RPM 2011 challenge is over (well, officially anyways, but I am still going to work on mixing and remixing my tracks) and that means it’;s time to catch up on the hundreds of press releases in my inbox. So, here are some artists U Outta Know, in this brief PR shout out:
Sabrina Chap – Gender Bending with her new album “Oompa!”
NYC native, Sabrina Chap mixes feminism, vaudeville, and music with her latest release. Also a published author, you can read her work on female self-destruction titled “Live Through This- On Creativity and Self-Destruction.” View her music video for “Never Been A Bad Girl” here. Chap breaks your boxes and blows your mind!
The Kills – Savvy British Rockers release their new album “Blood Pressures” April 5, 2011.
London’s calling you to turn up your radio! Something about the washed out looks and dirty guitars always screams Brit-Underground to me. This duo delivers garage punk for the rebel 2.0. Check out their latest video “Satellite” here.
Trumpet Grrrl – DIY Style in unexpected ways
Hailing from Maryland, Trumpet Grrrl is girl after my own heart. Self producing and recording her work, her debut release, “The Basement Tracks,” showcases her synthesis of vocals, keys, and punchy brass. I feel some new wave influences in her work too. An avid videographer, Trumpet Grrrl’s videos, in addition to her infectious confidence, are an inspiration to all the ladies out there who want to create art without limitations. Check out her video below and her various pop-star covers on youtube. I am floating up!
We got the beat!
Tom Tom Magazine – A Magazine about Female Drummers Issue 5 is out! Winter 2011 features: Kim Thompson, Yoshimi, Sara Lund, Gaggle, 8Bitch, Allessia Mattalia, Andrea Alvarez and tons more. This LA issue will have two release parties in the city of angels, plus one in the big apple. Here are the facebook event links:
Please see their website for event specifics and subscription/merchandise info.
Clinical Trials is a Rock/Electro/Grunge outfit led by Somer Bingham, with Dan LeMunyan on drums, AJ Annunziata on bass, and Ino Aksentiev on synths and keys.
From Brooklyn, NY, Clinical Trials brings the edgy flavor of the most acclaimed concert jungle, boasting influences such as MIA, Yeah Yeahs Yeahs, and PJ Harvy. I would even say that there are hints of Peaches as well in the polyphonic synths that drive much of the 90s distorted guitars.
Somer’s vocals are abound with protest march like forcefulness. The drums swarm with crisp timing, and the bass and keys compliment each others highs and lows.
Disco Headphones is my favorite track, and begins with a dirty bass riff soon followed by Somer’s Debbie Harry-like rasp. The remix is also excellent, which you can check out on their myspace.
Clinical Trials – No trial needed. Edgy post-mod synthesis that will rock your headphones off.
The Vivian Girls have a new single, and are currently touring across Europe. They will be back in the U.S. in February. Look for the new single on 7″ vinyl record and digital download on February 16th. Get it on vinyl fast if you want it. They only press a few thousand!
The track listing includes: My Love Will Follow Me / He’s Gone. “He’s Gone” is an a capella cover this Chantels and is amazing! You can hear it right now on their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/viviangirlsnyc.
I can’t wait to get mine and hopefully see them again when they hit Seattle!
Vivian Girls Tour Schedule through March 2010:
- Jan 18 2010 8:00P
- Korova with Veronica Falls Liverpool, England
- Jan 20 2010 8:00P
- Captains Rest Glasgow, Scotland
- Jan 21 2010 8:00P
- The Cluny Newcastle, England
- Jan 22 2010 8:00P
- Brudenell Social Club Leeds, England
- Jan 23 2010 8:00P
- Arts Centre Norwich, England
- Jan 24 2010 8:00P
- Joiners Arms Southampton, England
- Jan 25 2010 8:00P
- Upset The Rhythm – Trinity Centre Hall with MALE BONDING! London, England
- Jan 26 2010 8:00P
- Hoxton Bar and Grill with Veronica Falls London, England
- Jan 29 2010 8:00P
- BAM Howard Gilman Opera House with Les Savy Fav Brooklyn, NY
- Feb 4 2010 8:00P
- Casbah with Best Coast San Diego, CA
- Feb 5 2010 8:00P
- Detroit Bar with Best Coast Costa Mesa, CA
- Feb 6 2010 8:00P
- The Smell with Best Coast Los Angeles, CA
- Feb 8 2010 8:00P
- Crepe Place with Best Coast Santa Cruz, CA
- Feb 9 2010 8:00P
- Bottom of the Hill with Best Coast and THE BANANAS!! San Francisco, CA
- Feb 11 2010 8:00P
- Holocene with Best Coast Portland, OR
- Feb 12 2010 8:00P
- Biltmore with Best Coast Vancouver, Canada
- Feb 13 2010 8:00P
- High Dive with Best Coast Seattle, WA
- Mar 8 2010 8:00P
- Great Scott with Male Bonding Boston, MA
- Mar 9 2010 8:00P
- La Sala Rossa with Male Bonding Montreal, Canada
- Mar 10 2010 8:00P
- Wrongbar with Male Bonding Toronto, Canada
- Mar 11 2010 8:00P
- Magic Stick with Male Bonding Detroit, MI
- Mar 12 2010 8:00P
- Subterranean with Male Bonding Chicago, IL
- Mar 13 2010 8:00P
- Gardner Lounge / Grinnell College with Male Bonding Grinnell, IA
- Mar 14 2010 8:00P
- Jackpot Music Hall with Male Bonding Lawrence, KS
- Mar 15 2010 8:00P
- Opolis with Male Bonding Norman, OK
- Mar 16 2010 8:00P
- Lounge on Elm Street with Male Bonding Dallas, TX
- Mar 22 2010 8:00P
- The Mink with Wet Dog and Happy Birthday Houston, TX
- Mar 23 2010 8:00P
- Circle Bar with Wet Dog and Happy Birthday New Orleans, LA
- Mar 24 2010 8:00P
- Red Star Bar with Wet Dog and Happy Birthday Oxford, MS
- Mar 25 2010 8:00P
- 529 Bar with Wet Dog and Happy Birthday Atlanta, GA
- Mar 26 2010 8:00P
- Duke Coffeehouse with Wet Dog and Happy Birthday Durham, NC
- Mar 27 2010 8:00P
- Ottobar with Wet Dog and Happy Birthday Baltimore, MD